Welcome!!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you find this blog helpful. It started with small idea about saving a little money by a do-it-yourself way. As I've discovered in some of my travels, most do-it-yourself ideas are, in fact eco-friendly. These are my experiements and my thoughts on the matter.

I took the above picture at the beach near Bodega Bay. I love water. It's beautiful, and it has so many metaphors for our lives. While one drop does not make a huge difference to us, many drops can form an ocean, that has the power to wash the very footprints we leave right before our eyes.

Hopefully, together, we can become so many that we will be able to wash some of our carbon footprints away.

Namaste,

Chelle }}i{{

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dog (Animal) Deterrent

Okay, so I have a problem.  I have two WONDERFUL dogs who like to dig.  I was told to use some Chilli Powder.  We did, Mojo, our Golden Retreiver ate it!!!  Still having problems.  I was told to use the infamous Habenero Pepper.  So I went to the store and created my own recipe.  It worked!  The following is the recipe that I created.  Now, Habeneros are a little pricey (16.99 lb.), but you don't need that many, so a dozen only ran me a few bucks.
Note: This recipe was only tested on my dogs, though I'm confident it will work on all animals due to the potency of it.  Always excercise caution if you don't feel right about using it, don't.  Try it, if it doesn't work, hey you're only out a few bucks.  :-)

***Habeneros are VERY hot.  Please use EXTREME caution when handling them.  If you have any resiptory problems, use gloves and a mask.  Avoid touching your face until you have washed your hands THUROUGHLY!!!  Handle the peppers by the stems as much as possible this will help avoid spreading the oil of the pepper.***



You will need:
  • A Blender
  • 12 or so Habenero Peppers
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup of oil (I used organic olive, as that's what I had!)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • A small pouring container, such as a glass measuring cup.  Try not to use plastic, as it's harder to get the oils off when cleaning.
Remeber to handle by the stem, put the peppers in the blender, stem included.  No need to wash them, as they are going on the ground any ways.
Puree the peppers as much as possible first.  Then add oil, followed by water.  Add the water a little bit at a time, as you might not need all of it.  Pour into the glass container.  Color will depend, as every pepper is different, don't be alarmed.  Liquid should be slightly lumpy and a little runny.  This just helps spread it easier.  It made about a cup of deterrent.
***Try not to inhale deeply!  I have asthma, wasn't wearing a mask and was bothered a little by it.  It doesn't sting...at first.  :-) ***

Pour a TINY line along the problem area.  A little goes along way!!
The testing phase.  Koda, sniffing, then licking.  He continued to lick his lips for a good fifteen minutes.  No harm done!
Mojo, in a FULL-ON lick!!!
He headed STRAIGHT for the water!!  I am pleased to report, after over an hour, they are doing fine, and steering clear of the area!  I only did half the yard to test it and see what would happen, if they move to the other side to dig or stop all-together.
The oils from the peppers as well as the added oil should help maintain the smell for a while.  If, after a while, the dogs (or animals) come back, repeat, as the smell could have faded!

Let me know what you think!!!  ;-)

Chelle }}i{{

No comments:

Post a Comment